OK so I threw it out there after my last blog – a subject to have a think about and discuss this time round – and the winner was the old classic – Dad dancing!

What is it about Dad dancing? – just the term brings up such a clear picture of a child’s abject embarrassment as they try to distance and disassociate themselves from their father as he swings his limbs around on the dance floor, in the living room or any other place where the music takes hold.

So what happens? As boys grow to young men dancing is part of life, in fact it is this dancing that has often been at the crucial points of meeting and interacting with the fairer sex, courtship – even traditional weddings have dancing as a main part of proceedings. But at the last of these examples is also often when you see the ‘Dad dance’ in all it’s uninhibited glory.

When women go through all the hormonal changes of pregnancy and childbirth, things change – that’s obvious and necessary – women grow into mothers. With men there is no such obvious transition, perhaps it is a thing of securing the family unit – as Dad dancing has proven to effectively repel other women, but I think perhaps it is something else..

I was in the park the other day and my daughter and I were running about and playing, at one point she stopped and started singing and dancing – so I joined in. She did a silly song and a wee dance and I did a silly dance, we were laughing and running around then stopping, singing, dancing, laughing and running on again. The thing was, and to be honest I realised this later and didn’t think of it at the time, but there were lots of other people in the park. I was officially Dad dancing – in full view of the public eye – and I didn’t care, didn’t feel embarrassed at all. I was in my Daddy daughter bubble where we do what we want to do and have fun doing it – having my daughter laugh at my silly dancing in a park is priceless.

So maybe Dad dancing is just men letting go, men who have realised that what they have now is more important than looking cool or trying to impress or fit in. Cutting loose with a few wild moves will still be funny for my daughter for another few years – then the inevitable mortification is sure to follow. But after that I hope she will realise that Dad dancing is actually something to treasure and embrace – having uninhibited, un-selfconscious fun is a thing our society should treasure.

The next time I see a good ‘Dad dance’ I’m going to take my hat off and say ‘Go on that man!”

9 comments on Dad dancing

1. Scotty says:

Nice one Ross. Long live the Dad Dance!

2. yari says:

Hear hear!

3. Weasal says:

your moves will always be cool sco! x

4. Adam Sowden says:

I was a terrible dancer before I became a dad. Now I have the excuse of being a dad dancer. Yew!!

5. Gary Barnes says:

Just to a certain age of course, when they have reached 10 it becomes an embarrassment to our babies.
    BUT, I think one of the most important things, especially when you are an “elderly” Dad like myself, to show that fun doesn’t stop with age.
    In fact, I was dancing with my 12 year old, and her goggle eyed friend was watching, tonight when you posted your blog, Ross. This visiting kid comes from a family in the midst of a parental break up, and it shows the huge difference between normal families where fat 50+ fathers still dance when they want, and the horrible situation of a fighting family split up nastiness. I suppose we are 2 ends of the spectrum, but it it is still nice to be reminded that we choose friends based on their distance from normal, and that is why the Divine’s are divine.
    By the way, love your work.
    Gaz

6. nick says:

Its alright,
    Dad dancing is cool these days.
    I saw it on Fuel TV.

7. Gerry Devine says:

As the father who’s dancing is being shown I offer no apologies. I am still at it and today have been doing my ‘Papa Dancing’ for my grandson’s entertainment. As least at 15 months he laughs with me rather than at me. I have no intention of stopping anytime soon.

8. Margaret Hancox says:

That man dancing is my brother. How embarrassing is that????
    Just joking – don’t stop, Gerard.

9. Rhee says:

Could you be anymore cool and profound Ross?

I think you should take a Blokes boogying, Dads disco dancing and Lads Limbering class at the proposed Mens Shed in burleigh !
    Legend