The true story of Fertile FC: A six-a-side football team’s journey into fatherhood. Recounted in engaging, self-depreciating voices, the men write openly and honestly of the excitement, worries, hopes and fears that come with the looming responsibility of becoming a good team player in a completely new team. After their first season together they found themselves in a range of contemporary family constellations and birthing experiences. There is a young first-timer, one 48-year-old first-time father, one father having his second child, one with a step-child, and one dad already with children to a different partner. They recount natural home, water and hospital births, a birthing centre birth, a breech and caesareans.
The first chapters introduce the characters as they meet and become a football team. Then each chapter is one man’s narrative about how he met his partner and contributed to the pregnancy and birth of their child; and what it was like afterwards to bring home a baby. The final chapter is the shared experience of their six-a-side football team, which in season one entered a social soccer competition as beginners, in season two became fathers, and in season three became champions.
- Buy book online via Booktopia $26.95
- Buy book on iTunes / iBooks $19.99
- Download free Book Extract (PDF 400Kb)
The boys talk about what the book is about:
Promo video by Hachette for book sellers and bookshops:
Subscribe to new Posts
Fathering Posts By Author
- Jim Roberts works for local government as a skateboard and BMX coordinator.
- Yari McGauley has his own website development company, is in his early thirties...
- Ross Devine works in community development, is in his early thirties...
- Rick Fitzgerald works in marketing, is in his early forties and lives with his three kids...
- Neil Young Neil trained as an actor, but like most actors spends more time doing something else to earn money...
- Nick Foley is a naturopath, in his early thirties who lives with his partner Sally...